Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Family cultures



The first concept we need to understand is what defines a culture. A culture, in my opinion, is any group of people who adopt specific ideas, values, beliefs, rules and laws. In a culture people are capable of identifying with one another because of their similarities. The problem with these sense of identification is that creates biases. These biases lead us to belief that our way is better than anybody else culture.
Based on my own biases, I believe that all cultures aren’t equal. Rather, there are many cultures that are a menace to humanity because they violate human freedoms that we inherit at birth; such as, life itself. I understand that human nature leads us to strive find a sense of superiority over other cultures. Although we do it naturally, I do not believe we have the right to proclaim that a culture is better than another. We can flip the coin and try to see it from their perspective; then we are left off with their arguments and reasoning defending their culture.
After much debate and pondering, I was able to bring to words my own position in this argument; mostly based in my own family culture – although I could exemplify my position by referring to extremist cultures that have adopted beliefs such as polygamy, cannibalism, inequality between men and women; and in some third world countries even people who leave justice in the hands of violence. Thinking about my own family and my experiences growing up in the culture that had been long established by generations before me; I was able to reflect on the fact that I am in a quest to change this culture. I belief that most of my family’s beliefs are incorrect; such as the practice of positive punishment to discipline children, acceptance of alcoholism, disloyalty in marriage, verbal and physical violence. This is the motivator that led me to bring to surface my own beliefs on this topic.
My father recognized the wrongfulness of such practices and instructed me to always seek to “break the chains of our traditions”. While he worked on it himself. I found a way to change our culture, by adopting the Mormon culture and being baptized into the Church, serving a mission, and practicing the beliefs of this culture that will lead to happiness and peace among my own future family.
Focusing on the fact that I am striving to change my culture; one can clearly recognize that I do not belief that all cultures are equal. A culture that is incorrect or wrong will deteriorate and not be lasting; just like my family’s culture is now in the process of adaptation to a different culture.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gonzalo! I really liked your post. I have always found other's cultures so fascinating and it's so interesting to learn of someone's background so you can better understand the person they are today. I liked your comment that said, "Although we do it naturally, I do not believe we have the right to proclaim that a culture is better than another. We can flip the coin and try to see it from their perspective; then we are left off with their arguments and reasoning defending their culture." Why do we judge other's cultures? How could this be beneficial as well as harmful? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Addison! I think we judge other cultures in order to re-affirm to ourselves that our way of seeing the world is correct. I believe this is called Confirmation Bias in Psychology. I It is beneficial or harmful depending on how we are judging it. We learn in the Bible that we must judge righteously. This means, that if we keep an open mind and see the positives as well as the negatives in a culture we could benefit from adapting certain traits (just like I did with the Mormon culture).

    ReplyDelete